LONDON ROOF CLEANING BLOG
by London Roof Cleaning
Roof cleaning is an important taskMany homeowners overlook the importance of roof cleaning as a necessary home maintenance task. However, regularly cleaning your roof can offer many advantages such as a better appearance and an extended life span of the roofing system without having to pay for costly repairs. Here are 5 reasons why you should keep your roof clean:
1. Moss can cause damage to your roofMoss can cause damage to roofs, especially if it is left untreated. Moss absorbs moisture from the air and can grow in damp, shaded areas on roofs. This growth can create a layer of insulation between your roof covering and the decking beneath it, leading to trapped moisture and increased heat on the roof. Over time, this could cause rot or deterioration of both the roof covering and decking. Additionally, moss that has been allowed to accumulate may become heavy enough to cause structural damage such as cracking or sagging in some types of roof materials. Therefore, it is important to remove moss from your roof as soon as possible to prevent any potential damage before it becomes too severe.
2. There is a risk of blocked guttersGutters play an important role in protecting your home from water damage. They help to channel rainwater away from the foundation of your home and into a drainage system, preventing flooding and pooling around the base of your house which can cause soil erosion or other serious issues. Gutters also help protect siding, windows, doors and other parts of the exterior of the house by diverting water away from vulnerable areas. Properly functioning gutters are essential to maintaining a healthy roof and home structure. A dirty roof covered in moss can lead to blocked gutters, overtime moss will fall from the roof and can become trapped in the gutters causing water to leak or overflow. Ensuring that your roof is kept clean and free from moss will help prevent blocked gutters.
3. Moss can fall from your roofAs moss builds up on your roof there is a risk of it falling, presenting a daily challenge to homeowners, cleaning up fallen moss from the driveway, patio and paths. Not only is this unsightly and annoying, it also presents a serious slip hazard for people. The only way to avoid this problem is by getting rid of all existing moss on your rooftop.
4. A clean roof can improve your curb appealA dirty roof can make a home or building look unkempt and neglected. It also provides a great opportunity for mould, mildew, and other organisms to grow, which further detracts from the appearance of the property. Not only is it aesthetically displeasing, but it can also encourage more buildup of dirt and debris over time. Keeping up with regular maintenance on your roof will ensure that it stays attractive for years to come! If you're looking to put your house on the market, or just want to maintain the attractive appearance of your home, professional roof cleaning is an investment worth considering. A clean roof and gutters enhance the visual appeal of a property while providing peace of mind that your roof is in good condition and well maintained.
5. Cleaning extends the life of your roofMoss, lichen and algae that attach to the tiles of your roof can create small cracks over time. Harsh winters with moss present can cause those tiny fractures to expand and deepen until broken tiles or even holes appear in the surface. Freezing water held by the moss is what causes this damage; however, it's preventable by removing it regularly. Doing so ensures your roof will last longer and remain in better condition. Moss, lichen and algae can also cause damage to your roofing material itself. When these organisms grow on the surface of tiles they trap moisture against the material, which can lead to accelerated aging and erosion. Additionally, organic debris left behind by moss can act as a kind of mulch that encourages further growth over time if not removed. Regularly cleaning off any moss growth is essential for maintaining the integrity of your roof and preventing more extensive damage from occurring. With proper maintenance and care you can ensure that your roof remains free from moss-caused damage for years to come.
To concludePeriodic roof cleaning can not only save you money in the long run by preventing costly repairs, but it also serves as a way to improve your home's appearance and enhance its longevity. A clean roof is far less likely to experience leaks and other complications than one that hasn't been maintained. As such, catching any issues promptly can help keep repair costs low. Regularly caring for your roof is an effective means of preserving it.
Read more of our blogs